Senior Data Engineer
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
At Protenus, we are adding an experienced data and software engineer. Working with our Data Engineering team, this role offers an incredible engineering challenge: integrate a variety of electronic health records into our data flow while continuously improving the core Protenus platform so we can support these systems at scale. As the foundation of our AI and visualization products, innovations by this team directly impact the extensibility of our platform, the capabilities of our machine learning, and success in our mission.
The Senior Data Engineer role is a challenging combination of software engineering, data mapping, modeling and statistical analysis, and relational/NoSQL database engineering. You’ll work predominantly on the Protenus platform’s core data integration capabilities, data model and developing our AI subsystems for compliance issue discovery in conjunction with our Data Scientists. The role creates unprecedented exposure to how data is organized in the world of Health IT, how real information and insight is extracted from that data, and how an AI driven, enterprise SaaS offering is put together from the ground up.
To read more about our engineering efforts, check out our tech blog!
- Independently develop and execute sophisticated data analysis of customer & Protenus data to support product feature development and analysis for signals supporting our AI. Present findings to your peers and product management.
- Develop and maintain expertise in Python, Scala, Spark, MongoDB, relational databases (ex: Oracle, SQL Server) and various AWS services. Be recognized as a “go-to” individual for advice and best practices in developing with these technologies. You’ll be contributing across the entirety of the Protenus core and backend AIs.
- Identify and deconstruct data extracts from health IT systems (e.g. EHRs, dispensing cabinets) to understand the source schema, extract maximum value for Protenus use cases and align it to the Protenus data model.
- Develop and maintain expertise in our software development & automation tools: IntelliJ, Jenkins, BitBucket (git), etc.
- Work independently to develop moderately complex features on the Protenus core and AIs – such as new data transformations, incident discovery logic, or a new classification feature. Collaborate with the team to develop significant portions of highly complex items under guidance of a Protenus technical lead.
- Contribute to the mentoring and development of junior software engineers at Protenus.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in agile SW development. Author strong, clear implementation stories, spikes, bugs and tasks. Fill in temporarily as Scrummaster if called upon by technical leadership.
Key Qualifications, Skills, Competencies
- More than five years of full-time software development experience, three of which were spent in a data centric engineering role developing data-driven, enterprise applications. Technologies you must be able to demonstrate strength with are:
- A JVM language – Java or Scala preferred
- Relational DBs (MySql, Oracle, Postgre) & SQL – must be proficient in authoring SQL queries, and object-relational mapping techniques/libraries.
- MongoDB or a similar document oriented database
- Spark or Hadoop Map/Reduce
- Data serialization formats: XML, JSON, Avro…as well as the basics (CSV, TSV)
- Jenkins (or comparable build automation tool)
- Git (or comparable source control tool)
- Atlassian JIRA/Confluence (or comparable tool(s) for Agile SW dev)
- Strong, demonstrable experience in data modeling and transformation. Can construct multi-object relational (or document) oriented models to describe a business domain. Experience with modeling tools is a plus.
- Strong, demonstrable experience working in an Agile (Scrum) team in conjunction with a product manager. Understands the roles: Scrummaster, Product Owner, Team member. Collaborates well with peer engineers.
- Working knowledge of statistics and data visualization libraries.
- GitHub profile demonstrating past work that aligns with the competencies above.
- Experience supporting or implementing behavioral analytics (security threats, fraud & abuse, bad actor identification, anomaly detection, user classification, prediction, etc.)
- Machine Learning algorithms and model development.
- Health IT domain experience: Cerner EHRs (or Epic, Meditech,McKesson, Allscripts, McKesson), HL7/FHIR/CCDA, HIPAA & relevant security protocols. The more depth here the better.
- Akka-streams or other stream processing framework.
- Demonstrates the soft skills necessary to be an effective senior engineer: interviewing capability, mentoring of junior engineers, and can step into Agile leadership roles where necessary (ex: Scrummaster).
The Protenus healthcare compliance analytics platform uses artificial intelligence to audit every access to patient records for the nation’s leading health systems. Providing healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerting privacy, security and compliance teams to inappropriate activity, Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions. This year, Protenus was named one of the Top Workplaces in Baltimore by The Baltimore Sun, a Best Place to Work by The Baltimore Business Journal, one of the Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare, and received our Great Place to Work certification.
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Protenus is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Join our team to see how you can learn and grow with us.