Discover how it all started and how we got to where we are today.
A Letter From Our CEO and Co-Founder, Nick Culbertson
Co-Founder and CEO of Protenus
Founded in 2014 by me and my business partner, Robert Lord, Protenus was born of a determination to solve problems in healthcare that would provide better patient outcomes and increase patient trust in the healthcare organizations where they sought care.
Although hospitals in the U.S. spend $39B per year to maintain compliance, most of it goes towards time-consuming, inefficient manual tasks. We thought the money could be better allocated to improving patient outcomes, so through innovation began to tackle common healthcare compliance challenges. First focusing on protecting patient privacy, we then broadened our scope to issues of healthcare workers stealing or misusing controlled substances.
The idea for Protenus was sparked while Robert and I were attending Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. We witnessed firsthand how digitized patient data could help streamline patient care but also realized the increasing threats to this sensitive electronic data. We created the first algorithms as a research project to address a problem deemed “too difficult to accomplish”. These algorithms would later serve as the foundation for the AI-powered Protenus platform that’s working to innovate healthcare.
In the years since, we’ve empowered hundreds of healthcare organizations to reduce risk. We’ve also cultivated the largest collaborative user community of healthcare compliance peers and experts from Protenus, PANDAS, that continues to move healthcare forward.
That same innovation, determination, and community are still the pillars of Protenus today and carry us forward in our belief that the delivery of care should be without risk.
We've come a long way in a short time.
- $1.2M seed funding
- Acquired 1st customer
- Launched 1st prototype
- Closed 1st customer
- v1 of Protenus platform launched
- 1st user conference (PANDAS)
- Rock Health Top 50 in Digital Health
- 2nd Gen Protenus platform launched
- $11M Series B
- KLAS Category Leader
- $17M Series C
- CB Insights Digital Health 150
- Named a Modern Healthcare Best Places to Work
- Gartner 2019 Cool Vendor
- Forbes Best Startups in America
- KLAS Category Leader
- Received 1st Great Place to Work certification
- $21M Series D
- Became a remote-first organization
- Great Place to Work Certified for 2nd consecutive year
- Forbes Best Startups in America for 2nd consecutive year
- New patent granted
- Great Place to Work Certified for 3rd consecutive year
- Forbes Best Startups in America for 3rd consecutive year