Associate Software Engineer
Baltimore, Maryland or Remote
The Data Engineering team at Protenus is seeking a new Associate Software Engineer. This role offers an incredible engineering challenge: integrate a variety of electronic health record data into our system while continuously improving the core Protenus platform. As the foundation of our AI and visualization products, innovations by this team directly impact the extensibility of our platform, the capabilities of our compliance analytic products, and success in our mission.
The role relies heavily on analytical thinking and data analysis skills. You will work closely with the raw data flows and coordinate with our data scientists and frontend engineers. Applicants should already have a strong foundation in Java, and some experience with Python. A new hire in this role is expected to learn Scala, the preferred data engineering programming language at Protenus.
Our aim is to enable scientists, engineers, and technologists who are starting their careers to build their technical skills while contributing to the company’s short and long-term success. We focus on capitalizing on their strengths and developing their potential.
- Makes regular code contributions as part of a 3-5 person engineering team focused on translating incoming health data flows to Protenus data models, building new AI signals and new user experiences.
- Participate and contribute to agile software development sprint ceremonies for the team.
- Develop and maintain expertise in Scala, Python, Spark, MongoDB, relational databases, and AWS services with the mentorship of senior engineers.
- Develop and maintain expertise in our development and automation tools: IntelliJ, Jenkins, git, sbt, etc.
- Brings ideas and fresh perspectives from their educational and other relevant experiences.
- Dedication to challenge themselves and maintain a positive attitude.
Key Qualifications, Skills, Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline. Or, comparable experience that proves mastery of the fundamentals.
- Demonstrates strong data analysis, analytical thinking, and communication. Able to interpret raw data files, document and explain complex relationships within the data.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of and experience with the following technologies (1+ years, academic OK):
- Java or another JVM language
- Basic data serialization formats: CSV, JSON, XML
- Professional communication skills (written and verbal) that demonstrate an ability to work well with team members, customers and partners alike.
- Interest in learning technologies in the Protenus stack and our infrastructure.
- Interest in the Protenus mission and the healthcare and cyber security domains.
- Enthusiasm for working on teams that use Agile methodologies and using tools for task organization, code reviews, configuration management, etc.
- Github profile demonstrating past work that aligns with the competencies above.
- Scala expertise.
- React/ES6 front-end engineering experience.
The Protenus healthcare compliance analytics platform uses artificial intelligence to audit every access to patient records for the nation’s leading health systems. Providing healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerting privacy, security and compliance teams to inappropriate activity, Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions. This year, Protenus was named one of the Top Workplaces in Baltimore by The Baltimore Sun, a Best Place to Work by The Baltimore Business Journal, one of the Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare, and received our Great Place to Work certification.
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Protenus is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Join our team to see how you can learn and grow with us.